Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The Church, Gas Station, and Taxi Stand

So I often walk to work, in fact I always walk to work. (check me out with my adverbs of frequency) Anyhow... I always walk to work, and I walk past a lot of things. The church for one. It's this big church, and everytime anyone walks or drives by it they cross their chest. You know what I mean, they reach their hand to their head and shoulders to make the shape of a cross.

Next I walk by the Taxi stand, and I love the taxi stand. I love the taxi stand cause nobody takes taxis here. So, all the drivers get to hang out. They hang out and talk, but mostly watch tv. Haha... Theres a big tv nailed to a tree at the taxi stand. Its hilarious! So all the taxi drivers just sit around watching this big box tv thats nailed to a tree. Then, if they are lucky, and they do get a customer, they have to move their taxi's up. But why turn your car on, when you can just push the damn thing, lol. So they push their cars up. Its funny to watch.

Lastly, the gas station. They are fairly big here... sometimes they fill up their cars not at the gas tank, like the rest of the world, but under the hood somewhere. That was something to see the first time. All the hoods of the cars lifted up, with these little strange nozzles pumping gas into the car, somehow. I just don't get it! But theres an even better thing about the gas stations. They are the cool place to go... drinking! Hahha, I thought my bosses daughter was kidding when she said we were going to the gas station to hang out. Seriously. But drinking outside is legal, and drinking at the gas station is cool. Sweet eh!

Don't you just love the smell of fumes and beer?

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Lyndsay!! I am so glad you have a blog that I can follow. Brazil sounds super fun - it is like we are having similar experiences, except opposite, haha. For example, you cannot drink outside here. Everyone is a Muslim so they're not cool with that. However, in other ways it is the same... nobody speaks any English, and what they do speak, it is the same questions over and over! But here it goes: "Hello sister! How are you! What is your country! Are you married! Do you have children! What is your education! What do you think of Bangladesh!" :P