Sunday, February 24, 2008

Paraty and Rio De Janerio




Paraty is a small little town, mostly touristy, and old as the hills. In the 1700s the Portuguese came to get gold from the hills near by. They came over in ships, and started building churches and houses to show off their riches, and then they would bring the gold back to Portugal. They had slaves that they used to build their streets and houses. The best part is, when they came over they had rocks in the bottom of their ship for ballast. They would trade these rocks for gold, and the rocks were then used to create the streets.

Trading rocks for gold... sweet!

Anyhow, the streets are made of these huge rocks, and they are so hard to walk over that you cant enjoy the really nice architecture while you walk, because you are always looking down trying not to fall.

But the architecture is really nice! As was the boat tour that we took around to some beaches. They fed us some fish, and let us jump off the boat. We got a snorkel and went to see some Brazilian fishies... They mostly just looked like normal fishies that I've seen in Thailand, but still, great stuff!

The next day we met some Brits and went to a beach named Trinadade. It was great, warm, and I loved it. We had another sunny day, while back in Paraty it rained, so we def made the right choice.

The last day we had breakfast and went on a bus to Rio. We got to the bus station and took a cab to our hotel where we met one of the guys who worked there (insert name there) and he said I was grumpy. Yeah... I was sorta grumpy, as I usually am. (ask my family). But I have also been getting really carsick on the bus lately, which is horrible! So I felt sick for a while. In fact any day that I have to ride in a bus. Music helps, so does gravol. (thankgod mariannik is prepared)

Our hostel is weird. Everyone smokes, the breakfast consists of bread. There is no common areas, but there is two free computers to use! And its right next to the Copacabana. Woo woo!

Today we went to a soccer game. It was great. I will post pics. Our team (the flamingos) won. Apparently there are more Flamingo fans than Canadians. But for now I should go. The guy who works at the hostel (insert name here) is cooking us dinner, and I fully plan on eating it!

No comments: